Similar to last Monday, June 11, if there's a rally at the open, it's probably better faded unless you are very quick. I would once again look to the bond market (TLT) for more reliable indication or confirmation.
Looking ahead a bit further, the G20 meeting might provide some completely false hope but, as usual, will prove once again to be a complete farce, as always. There seems to be a continued drumbeat on QE3 from the FOMC meeting but I believe it would also turn out to be a disappointment for QE addicts. The outcome of Greek coalition government should be clearer in a few days; otherwise it would mean more uncertainty and the risk of yet another election.
So, a "hopium"-based rally could very well last a few days; but I would be enthusiastically on the short side when disappointment sets in.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV