American Water Works (AWK) pushed the Utilities sector lower today making it today's featured Utilities loser. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.3%. By the end of trading, American Water Works fell 28 cents (-0.8%) to $33.70 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 1.2 million shares of American Water Works exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 783,100 shares. The stock ranged in price between $33.62-$33.98 after having opened the day at $33.89 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $33.98. Other company's within the Utilities sector that declined today were: China Hydroelectric Corporation (CHC), down 12%, GreenHunter Energy (GRH), down 7.2%, Niska Gas Storage Partners (NKA), down 6.2%, and Huaneng Power International (HNP), down 3.8%. American Water Works Company, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides water and wastewater services to residential, commercial, industrial, public, and other customers in the United States and Canada. American Water Works has a market cap of $5.96 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 19, below the average utilities industry P/E ratio of 19.4 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 7.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate American Water Works a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and three rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates American Water Works as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full American Water Works Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about AWK
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV