(Updated from 12:48 p.m. with settle prices.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices climbed Friday as investors looked to the precious metal as a safe haven ahead of Greece's unpredictable elections.
Gold for August delivery settled up $8.50 at $1,628.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. It traded as high as $1,635.40 and as low as $1,620.40 during the session, while the spot price jumped $4, according to Kitco.com.
"Gold investors in the euro zone rushed to add to positions prior to Sunday as Greece elections start at 7 a.m. for 12 hours, and gold is liquid, portable and convertible into any currency," George Gero, precious metals strategist at RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a Friday note. "Therefore, it's desired by investors as a haven for whatever transpires this weekend."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV