AUSTIN, Texas, June 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Vermillion, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRML), a leading molecular diagnostics company, reported that results of the recent Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) multi-marker intended use study were presented this week at the Society for Vascular Medicine's 23rd Annual Scientific Sessions, in Minneapolis, MN. This meeting hosts the nation's leading vascular medicine specialists, and includes sessions on PAD guidelines, policy trends, and advances in the diagnosis and treatment of vascular diseases.
The poster is authored by Professor of Medicine and Associate Director of Stanford Cardiovascular Institute Dr. John Cooke, together with colleagues at the University of Colorado and is entitled "Results of a Biomarker Screen to Identify Peripheral Artery Disease." It reported the results of a multi-center clinical study involving 1,025 subjects, prospectively enrolled from the PAD at-risk population of subjects aged 70 or older, and diabetics and smokers 50 or older.
Different multi-marker algorithms were evaluated in patients with or without PAD, in comparison with the Framingham Risk Score (FRS). The multi-marker models were also assessed for their ability to identify PAD in patients below the high-risk FRS cutoff. The best model demonstrated a c-statistic of 0.73 and more important, identified 17 of 20 (85%) of patients missed by the FRS high-risk cutoff.
"Since one in every 20 Americans over the age of 50 has PAD(1), this study suggests the possibility for a simple and practical way to screen at-risk patients," said Dr. Cooke. "By detecting undiagnosed or asymptomatic PAD, primary care physicians can intervene earlier and improve the health and prognosis for their patients. We are truly excited at the confirmation our biomarker research achieved in this large group of at-risk subjects, and look forward to advancing our program."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV