NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- They may seem stodgy and boring, but utility stocks have been as hot as a nuclear reactor on overload.
In fact, on Thursday the Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLU) hit a 52-week high of $37.20. The one-year chart above illustrates what a ride this ETF has had, with its yield-to-price now well below 4%.
Warning Signs: The Time to Beware Is NowAs we can plainly see from the chart above, the "safe and conservative" mystique of utilities can meld into dramatic disappointment, as was experienced by XLU investors in the summer of 2011. Are we heading for yet another unexpected swan dive for the utility sector? One clue would be to compare how the XLU performs in comparison with a broader market index like the S&P 500. Below is a comparison chart of the XLU vs. the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY). In fact, since the end of 2011, utilities have not exactly moved in lock-step with the rest of the stock market. When the SPY peaked in late March and early April 2012, the XLU had somewhat of a correction. Since then, the SPY has been in correction mode and the XLU has climbed higher and higher. At some point (perhaps in time for a summer stock rally), SPY will rally and history appears to confirm that the utility sector will cool its heals during that rally.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV