June 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S.
mutual fund asset flows through
May 2012. Long-term mutual funds recorded their smallest monthly intake year to date, with
$14.1 billion in new assets. Among the broad asset classes, taxable-bond funds showed the greatest decline from April inflows of
$16.9 billion to $7.7 billion in May, and U.S-stock funds saw their 13th consecutive month of outflows.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Although actively managed stock funds—both U.S. and international—have suffered outflows of more than $172.3 billion over the past 12 months, a subset of these, dividend-focused equity-income funds, have bucked the trend and seen inflows of $21.7 billion over the same period.
- After five straight months of strong inflows, high-yield bond funds saw net outflows of $1.2 billion in May as prices fell, but the magnitude of money leaving open-end funds was relatively small compared with past pullbacks.
- Vanguard, led by inflows to its index funds, and JPMorgan had the greatest provider-level inflows during the month. However, MFS was a close third, fueled by inflows of $1.3 billion for MFS Value. American Funds notched its 35th consecutive month of outflows.
- Although money market funds reversed four straight months of outflows, inflows were a negligible $1.4 billion in May.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/mayflows12. To view a video recapping May's U.S. fund flow trends, please visit http://bit.ly/mayflows. For more information about Morningstar Asset Flows, please visit http://global.morningstar.com/assetflows.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV