NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Microsoft (MSFT) is making a mystery meat of an announcement on Monday in Los Angeles: few know what's going to be in it. That, of course, does not stop the media from opining.
The Associated Press posits that the announcement will be entertainment related. ZDNet said it's all about a tablet, but one that will compete with Amazon's (AMZN) Fire, not Apple's (AAPL) iPad. The International Business Times said that Microsoft, au contraire, will target Apple. Forbes, for its part, says maybe a tablet -- maybe content and cable related. It then asked readers if they "got any guesses?"
In an article called "Microsoft Is Doing Its Own Tablet. How Do You Like Them Apples?" All Things D says with a fair degree of conviction (if not sources) that it's going to be a tablet.Let's go there for a moment, because All Things D is right to immediately lay out an appropriate question: since computer makers like Dell (DELL) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) have developed Windows-based tablets -- well, how will they respond to the competition? Fox Business -- and many others -- simply regurgitated the supposed scoop about the tablet, without leaving space for that essential question. The Seattle Times did well to go right there: "If Microsoft starts making its own branded tablets, that could be awkward for its relationships with its hardware partners, many of whom have shown off a variety of upcoming Windows 8 tablets." How will everyone handle the fraught competition? That -- like the rest of it -- remains to be seen. Make no assumptions here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV