What Do Dads Want on Father's Day?
Father's Day is set for Sunday, as millions of dads grill, chill and settle down with their families to enjoy the day.
But deep down inside, are dads really getting what they want from Father's Day? Or do they believe they're getting short shrift compared with the fairer sex on Mother's Day?
The firm RetailMeNot.com says the gift dad really wants this weekend is quality time with the family.
Those are questions asked -- and hopefully answered -- by the online shopping site RetailMeNot.com, which shared its findings with us.
The Austin, Texas-based firm, which bills itself as the largest online coupon provider in the U.S., says that the gift dad really wants this weekend is quality time with the family. What he doesn't want are #1 Dad T-shirts and ties.Under the surface, RetailMeNot says, dad may be harboring some bruised feelings about how Father's Day may be overshadowed by Mother's Day. Seventy-seven percent of men and women surveyed by the company says that sentiment would not be unwarranted; they say mothers definitely get more attention than dads get on their respective holidays. Some other takeaways from the RetailMeNot survey:
- Only 35% of father's want gifts that actually cost money on Father's Day. That's compared with 52% of moms who said they wanted gifts that cost money for Mother's Day.
- Of those dads who do want gifts that cost money, gift cards (13%) and electronics (8%) were at the top of their wish list.
- Forty percent of dads said they wanted "quality" time with their family this Sunday. Only 3% opted for "time alone" for the day, compared with 11% of moms for Mother's Day.
- Fifty-one percent of respondents said they spent between $1 and $100 on Father's Day gifts. That compares with 67% who expressed the same sentiment on Mother's Day.
- Sixty percent of dads expected no gifts at all for Father's Day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV