NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- After Netflix (NFLX) it's DirecTV's (DTV) turn to venture into original programming despite being a pure service provider. The company is reportedly coming up with the original program Rouge, and that certainly raises some questions about its strategy in specific, and of the pay-TV providers in general.
It is no news that programming costs are rising and either subscribers or the pay-TV service provider or both have to face the implications. While subscribers are facing increased programming prices, the cable and satellite companies are witnessing shrinking margins.
This is a threat that has been acknowledged by all major pay-TV service providers that have frequently been involved in disputes with content owners resulting in programming blackouts.
The other reason could be building a USP (unique selling proposition). For a long time DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket has acted as its USP and with increasing competition and a more saturated market, the company is looking to strengthen its portfolio of unique propositions. With cable companies performing better and Dish Network (DISH) reviving itself, DirecTV's smooth run is unlikely to continue. It is necessary to manage these risk via diversification. In Latin America, the risk diversification for DirecTV revolves around diversifying across geographies and launching 4G broadband as an additional viable business. Our
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV