5. Virgin Digital Help
United Kingdom/U.S. headquarters: New York, N.Y.
Virgin Digital Help, a subsidiary of Richard Branson's Virgin Group, was formed by the division's co-founder and director, Mustafa Khanbhai, who got the idea for a subscription service that would give consumers and small businesses immediate help for tech problems.
For $15 per month (or $30 per transaction), Virgin Digital Help can fix Web and email issues, computers, smartphones, viruses, cameras, game consoles -- anything digital. Dad basically gets his own tech guy at his disposal.
The service was started in the U.K. in 2009. Now Virgin Digital is expanding to the U.S. and has developed partnerships with several retailers, tech companies and others to expand the reach and exposure of the service. This includes the technology that enables technicians to be available immediately online or over the phone 24/7 to troubleshoot and fix technology issues remotely.One partner is Sears (SHLD). Virgin Digital is the go-to resource for Sears customers that have bought gadgets at the retailer. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV