4. Mohan's Custom Tailors
New York, N.Y.
Mohan's Custom Tailors has been designing custom suits and formalwear for more than 30 years. Its owner, Mohan "Michael" Ramchandani, grew up in India, where he learned the value and skills of his trade through his family's cotton business.
It was while he worked with his brothers in a tailoring factory in Hong Kong in the late 1960s that he noticed an interesting trend: Americans were coming to Hong Kong to buy made-to-order suits and shirts that sold for a fraction of department store costs. An idea formed.
Ramchandani opened a small New York showroom in 1972. Over the years, the showroom moved three times to meet the expanding selection and demand for his products.Mohan's now offers customers the ability to choose from 14,000 fine fabrics from England and Italy, more than 40 suit styles, 16 shirt cuff styles and 20 collar styles to craft a garment unique for their body and personal style, the company says. Yet prices are affordable. "One of four specialty on-site veteran tailors takes over 20 detailed measurements for suits and 18 detailed measurements for shirts to intricately construct the foundation of the garment. Within a four to six week timeframe, the client walks away with a perfectly tailored piece," the company says. It is this level of detail and customer care that keeps customers coming back, says K.J. Singh, Mohan's sales manager. "When somebody wears a suit which fits them fine [vs. one that] fits them perfectly, they will never go off the rack again," Singh says. Mohan's has also seen more than a few celebrity customers. Those reputed to have passed through Mohan's doors include sports legends such as Walt Frazier, Patrick Ewing, Bernie Williams, Jose Reyes, as well as former New York City Mayor Rudolph Guiliani. Mohan's wares can now include pockets for smartphones, iPods and even an iPad pocket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV