NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Considering the creative small businesses marketing gifts this Father's Day, consumers shouldn't settle on buying the first tie they see.
Consumers will spend about $12.7 billion this year on gifts for dad, according to the National Retail Federation. The average person will spend $117.14, which is 10% more than last year and closing the gap with Mother's Day (for which consumers will spend an average $152, the NRF says).
According to the NRF's survey, people plan to treat dad by spending the most on special outings such as golfing, eating out or a sporting event. Of course electronics, apparel, gift cards and sporting goods will be bought as well.
George Carey, CEO of The Family Room, a Norwalk, Conn., market-research consulting firm that specializes in family demographics, says for small businesses looking to cater to dads, shoppers should let go of the stereotypes of past decades."Dads are increasingly playing a greater role in supporting the family at home, where moms used to reign. They are turning to a wide range of brands that can bring their family together and offer even a few precious minutes of time to connect," Carey said in a statement. "The remarkable growth of brands like Disney (DIS), McDonald's (MCD) and Wii has given us an abundance of evidence that the greatest gift you can give dad is a shared family experience everyone can enjoy together." Small businesses are certainly in the running to take advantage of Father's Day spending by playing up a niche and strong customer service, as well as unique promotions via social media and offline. Check out how these small businesses came up with products dad will love.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV