Smithfield Foods Inc. (SFD): Today's Featured Food & Beverage Loser
Smithfield Foods (SFD) pushed the Food & Beverage industry lower today making it today's featured Food & Beverage loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 0.8%. By the end of trading, Smithfield Foods fell $1.11 (-5.7%) to $18.46 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 9.1 million shares of Smithfield Foods exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1.8 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $17.92-$19 after having opened the day at $18.64 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $19.57. Other company's within the Food & Beverage industry that declined today were: Agria Corporation (GRO), down 8.9%, Le Gaga Holdings (GAGA), down 5.6%, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR), down 5.4%, and Coffee Holding Company (JVA), down 4.9%. Smithfield Foods, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the production and marketing of fresh meat and packaged meats products in the United States and internationally. Smithfield Foods has a market cap of $3.1 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.3, equal to the average food & beverage industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 21.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are seven analysts that rate Smithfield Foods a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and six rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Smithfield Foods as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- You can view the full Smithfield Ratings Report.
- Use our food & beverage section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV