NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you're a current Nokia (NOK) investor or one of the 10,000 workers now looking for work after Nokia's latest layoff announcement, you're probably ready to smash the first Apple (AAPL) iPhone or Google (GOOG) Android phone you see.
Based on my experience with gap-downs following press releases similar to Nokia's, the odds favor Friday or Monday marking the short-term low. Even with all the money Microsoft (MSFT) has put into Nokia, it appears to be too little too late.
Bargain hunters and short sellers covering positions could push the price up about 50% in relation to the gap-down price. Looking at the chart, I expect short-term resistance near $2.60. Round numbers often attract like a price magnet and repel, causing a bounce. Expect a lot of volume to trade near $2.40-2.50 a share today, but also be prepared for a closing under the open of $2.44, and more than a 30% chance of a close under $2.20.
If you are looking for today's drop to signal a buying opportunity, you are likely going to find the end of the day Friday better than today. There is no hurry jumping on board with Nokia.Stocks dumping as a result of earnings misses usually take a full two good earnings quarters to recover. Take your time and do your homework before allocating capital here. Look for the second break above $2.50 as the one that "sticks." (Read my
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV