Last up is insurer ProAssurance Corporation (PRA), a stock that's showing traders a textbook example of an ascending triangle pattern right now.
Put simply, an ascending triangle pattern is a setup that's identified by a horizontal resistance level to the upside and uptrending support below. As shares bounce in between those two technically significant price levels, they're getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above resistance (in this case at $90). When the breakout happens, we have a signal that the glut of supply that's cause $90 to act as a barrier has been completely absorbed by buyers. That's when we want to buy too.
I like the fact that PRA has hit its head so perfectly on $90 resistance the last seven times it's attempted to move through that level. A strong resistance level like that means that shares will have a much more snappy move once the oversupply of shares above $90 gets taken out.To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV