I mentioned Jamie Dimon a little earlier, so I may as well talk about his company, JPMorgan Chase (JPM). JPM has been the talk of the town since announcing a hedge-gone-amok that's transformed into a $2 billion (or more) trading loss. Even though the drama is still swirling around JPMorgan this week, it looks like the selling pressures have abated in this stock.
Here's when to buy:
In the short term, JPM is forming an inverse head-and-shoulders pattern, a setup that indicates exhaustion among sellers. The neckline level for this pattern is at $34.50; that's the price where it makes sense to be a buyer. If JPM can breakout above that $34.50 level, we know that buyers have regained control of this giant bank.Since late December, momentum has done a stellar job of leading price for JPM this year. With the downtrend in this stock's 14-day RSI broken and a new uptrend begun, an upside breakout seems likely. When it happens, I'd recommend placing a protective stop at $32. I also featured JPMorgan recently in "5 Huge Stocks Breaking Out," and it shows up on a list of 5 Bank Stocks Wilting Under the Summer Sun.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV