After over a decade in the dark, the Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge has come alive with a new advanced LED lighting system from Philips Color Kinetics (PCK). Inspired by the 2010 United States Conference of Mayors (USCM) where he learned about the benefits and applications of LED lighting, forward-thinking Corpus Christi Mayor Joe Adame has worked with Philips, the global leader in LED lighting, to turn the 60-year-old bridge into a signature attraction for the city. The new lighting system is not only energy-efficient, it can be easily programmed to create different light shows, helping to boost tourism, one of the city’s main sources of income.
With its steel truss spanning 620 feet and sitting 138 feet above the ship channel, the Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge is now a prominent display in the city’s skyline. The bridge, originally built in the 1950s, serves as a gateway to the city, but much of the bridge’s prior lighting system had been corroded by the severe environmental factors of the Gulf Coast, including extreme heat, harsh winds, and salt water. To evaluate LED lighting systems and ensure the technology was economically and technologically viable, the Mayor enlisted the help of Naismith Engineering and Spectrum Lighting, which tested lighting fixtures from several companies that were pre-programmed with 4 th of July shows.
The PCK system was not only easy to install, its light output was four-times the intensity of competing products. The city originally funded two smaller pilot projects with PCK lighting on wind vanes in the downtown area and on the local amphitheater to ensure the system could withstand the harsh Gulf Coast environment. Funding for the project came from the Texas Department of Transportation, the Port, the city of Corpus Christi and a generous donation from American Bank.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV