Stocks Rise on Fed Stimulus Hopes
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks jumped Thursday on ballooning hopes that additional stimulus is on the way from the Federal Reserve following a disappointing initial jobless claims number.
Adding to the positive sentiment late in the day was a report from Reuters late in the session that the central banks of the world's biggest economies are prepping a coordinated response to stabilize the situation if the outcome of Greece's general elections this weekend spooks the markets.
Trading has been volatile all week ahead of the elections, which are seen as a referendum on whether the country will be able to remain part of the eurozone.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped more than 155 points, or 1.2%, to close at 12,652, returning to positive territory for the week. The blue-chip index hit a high of 12,699 during the session.The S&P 500 added 14 points, or 1.1%, to finish at 1329, and the Nasdaq gained nearly 18 points, or 0.60%, to settle at 2836.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV