While the company has delivered only three quarters of results to the public, they indicate it could bring in up to $3.5 billion in revenues this year, and bring up to one-fourth of that to the bottom line. It seems to be a seasonal business (although some might read the same numbers and call it a fad), with nearly $7 billion in assets and just one-tenth that amount in debt.
Is that worth $100 billion? Probably not. But is it worthwhile as a business? Without a doubt, yes. There is a price for it that makes sense, something between its perceived value before the IPO and the popular view now.
The first rule of investing is don't fall in love with your holdings. But this first rule is almost always broken, by everyone from the founding CEO to the guy (like me) with 100 shares. Take a deep breath, run some numbers, do some yoga and figure out what things are worth outside the panic room. If you treat your broker like a bookie, you're going to end up with a lot of losses.
At the time of publication, Blankenhorn held shares of Microsoft and Google.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV