NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ A report that major central banks would be ready to pump money into the financial system after the Greek elections this weekend gave the stock market a late push higher.
The Reuters report said major central banks were preparing for coordinated action if the results of Greek elections on Sunday strain global financial markets.
The Dow Jones industrial average jumped 155.53 points to close at 12,651.91 Thursday. That's a gain of 1.2 percent. The Dow jumped 100 points after the report came out then pulled back.Investors are on edge ahead of Greece's election this weekend because parties opposed to the terms of the country's financial bailout could take control of the government. If that happens and the country leaves the euro, many fear the currency union could be torn apart and European banks could fail. The stock market began climbing in early trading after a tame inflation reading and another weak jobs report raised expectations that the Federal Reserve would offer more support for the U.S. economy. Applications for unemployment benefits rose last week, according to the latest government report. The four-week average increased for a third straight week, another sign that the jobs market remains weak. The government's main measure of U.S. consumer prices fell in May by 0.3 percent, the biggest drop since December 2008. Analysts said the slowdown in price increases could make it more likely that the Fed will announce new steps to boost the economy when it meets next week. Low inflation gives the Fed more leeway to inject money into the financial system, keep interest rates low and encourage borrowing. "The markets are higher, I think, because there are enough investors who believe that this morning's data on prices and jobless claims increase the case for more Fed easing as soon as next week's meeting," said Clark Yingst, chief market analyst at the securities and banking firm Joseph Gunnar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV