Looking at the other "big four" club members, JPMorgan Chase trades lower to forward earnings estimates than two of the other banks, but also at a higher multiple to book value than two of the others:
- Citigroup closed at $27.67 Wednesday, returning 5% year-to-date, following a 44% decline last year. The shares trade for just over half their reported March 31 tangible book value of $50.90, and for six times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $4.63. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $4.12.
- Shares of Bank of America closed at $7.50 Wednesday, returning 35% year-to-date, after dropping 58% in 2011. The shares trade for just 0.6 times their reported March 31 tangible book value of $12.87, and for 7.5 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $1.01. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 59 cents.
- As the strongest earner among the big four -- with returns on average assets ranging from 1.21% to 1.30% over the past five quarters, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight -- Wells Fargo trades the highest relative to tangible book value and earnings estimates. The shares closed at $31.58 Wednesday, returning 16% year-to-date, following last year's 10% decline, and trade for 1.9 times tangible book value, and for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $3.67. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate for Wells Fargo is $3.27.
Miller concluded by saying JPMorgan Chase's "stock should trade closer to tangible book value given the uncertainty surrounding JPMorgan's earnings as the company unwinds the credit derivative portfolio and the CIO's office ceases to be fully operational."
Interested in more JPMorgan Chase? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV