Culp, Inc. (NYSE: CFI) today reported financial and operating results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended April 29, 2012.
Fiscal 2012 fourth quarter highlights
Fiscal 2012 full year highlights
- Net sales were $75.7 million, up 25.4 percent, with mattress fabric sales up 23.3 percent and upholstery fabric sales up 28.4 percent. This is the company’s highest quarterly sales level in eight years.
- Pre-tax income increased 17 percent to $5.5 million.
- Adjusted net income (non-GAAP) was $4.5 million, or $0.35 per diluted share, for the current quarter, compared with $3.9 million, or $0.30 per diluted share, for the prior year period. (Adjusted net income is calculated using estimated income tax expense for Culp’s foreign subsidiaries. See the reconciliation to net income on page 7). Net income (GAAP) was $3.4 million, or $0.27 per diluted share, compared with net income of $6.0 million, or $0.45 per diluted share, in the prior year.
- The company announced today the initiation of a quarterly cash dividend of $0.03 per share, commencing in the first quarter of fiscal 2013, implying an annual cash dividend of $0.12 per share.
- The company also announced today the authorization of additional share repurchases, increasing authorized repurchases up to $5.0 million.
Quarterly Dividend and Share Repurchase Program
- Net sales were $254.4 million, up 17.4 percent, with mattress fabric sales up 18.9 percent and upholstery fabric sales up 15.4 percent.
- Pre-tax income decreased 6.0 percent to $14.2 million.
- Adjusted net income (non-GAAP) was $11.6 million, or $0.90 per diluted share, in fiscal 2012 compared with $12.6 million, or $0.96 per diluted share, in fiscal 2011. (See reconciliation to net income on page 7). Net income (GAAP) was $13.3 million, or $1.03 per diluted share, compared with $16.2 million, or $1.22 per diluted share, in the prior year period.
- The company’s financial position remained strong during fiscal 2012 with a total cash position of $31.0 million at year end and total debt of $10.0 million.
- The company repurchased 624,459, or 4.7 percent of its outstanding shares, for $5.4 million.
- The projection for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 is for overall sales to increase approximately 6 to 11 percent. Pre-tax income is expected to be in the range of $3.6 million to $4.4 million. Pre-tax income for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was $3.0 million.
The company announced that its Board of Directors has approved the payment of a quarterly cash dividend of $.03 per share, to be paid on or about July 16, 2012, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on July 2, 2012. The company anticipates paying a cash dividend each quarter, with expected payment dates in October, January, April and July. The announcement today implies an annual cash dividend of $0.12 per share. Future dividend payments are subject to Board approval and may be adjusted at the Board’s discretion as business needs or market conditions change.