HARTFORD, Conn., June 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Virtus Investment Partners, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRTS), which operates a multi-manager asset management business, announced today that it will expand the breadth and diversity of its investment strategies by introducing five open-end mutual funds.
Registration statements were filed today with the Securities and Exchange Commission for the Virtus Herzfeld Fund, the Virtus Wealth Masters Fund, the Virtus Emerging Markets Equity Income Fund, the Virtus Emerging Markets Debt Fund, and the Virtus International Small-Cap Fund. The funds are expected to be introduced later this year.
"Our strategy is to provide clients with a wide array of products to help them adapt to changing market cycles, and these new funds further diversify our product offerings by adding the expertise and differentiated approaches of five respected investment managers," said Frank Waltman, executive vice president, product management, at Virtus. "These funds will offer financial advisors a range of new investment options for their clients, including strategies that are not readily available to the retail investor."The new funds are:
- Virtus Herzfeld Fund is an open-end fund subadvised by Thomas J. Herzfeld Advisors, Inc., an investment advisory firm founded in 1984 that has an expertise in closed-end fund research and investments. The Herzfeld strategy uses quantitative, qualitative and fundamental analysis to evaluate closed-end funds, focusing on those funds whose discount to net asset value (NAV) is attractive. The manager also factors in variables including liquidity, volatility and distribution yield, then invests in those closed-end funds which they believe will benefit from a favorable shift in valuation.
- Virtus Wealth Masters Fund will be subadvised by Horizon Asset Management, a subsidiary of Horizon Kinetics, LLC, an employee-owned investment boutique. The fund seeks to track the Horizon Kinetics ISE Wealth Index (Ticker: RCH) and invest in publicly held companies that are managed by some of the wealthiest individuals in the U.S. The fund's strategy is based on the concept that companies managed or influenced by individuals who have created significant wealth in their companies will outperform other companies because those managers tend to prioritize creation of long-term shareholder value over the shorter-term considerations that are typical of other corporate managements.
- Virtus Emerging Markets Equity Income Fund will be subadvised by a portfolio management team at Kleinwort Benson Investors International, Ltd., the U.S.-registered adviser affiliate of Kleinwort Benson Investors of Dublin, Ireland. The managers will identify a diverse group of companies based on industry groups and regions within emerging markets, and invest in high-quality companies that pay above-average dividends, have above-average dividend growth potential, and have strong balance sheets and cash flow.
- Virtus Emerging Markets Debt Fund will be managed by the Multi-Sector Fixed Income Strategies team at Newfleet Asset Management, LLC, which has invested in emerging markets as part of its multi-sector strategies. The new fund will invest in a diversified portfolio of emerging market debt, including sovereign, quasi-sovereign and corporate bonds .
- Virtus International Small-Cap Fund will be managed by Kayne Anderson Rudnick Investment Management, LLC and will apply Kayne's domestic equity investment philosophy that seeks to identify high-quality companies that can grow consistently, through different market cycles, purchased at reasonable prices to produce strong risk-adjusted returns in the equity markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV