SUMMIT, N.J., June 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Evermore Global Advisors, an investment manager that employs an active value investment discipline to find undervalued companies anywhere in the world with the potential to yield long-term value for investors, has notified the board of directors of ModusLink Global Solutions (Ticker: MLNK) that it fully supports the news that Joseph C. Lawler is retiring as chief executive of ModusLink.
In a letter to ModusLink's chairman, Francis J. Jules, Evermore chief executive David E. Marcus wrote, "As we pointed out in our initial letter to you in October 2011, we thought it was time for Mr. Lawler to go given his long history of value destruction."
Mr. Marcus also noted disappointment of the accounting irregularities that ModusLink disclosed on June 11th even though it appears to be de minimis relative to total revenues.Mr. Marcus also demanded that the ModusLink board update shareholders on the strategic review process that the company began in November 2011. The board has been silent on the process, even though ModusLink's stock price has steeply declined since the company launched its strategic review. "We believe that despite all of the missteps by management and the board, there is substantial shareholder value remaining and it must be crystallized," Mr. Marcus wrote. "It is time to put an end to the status quo and get these assets into the hands of willing buyers who can actually create value." The full text of Evermore's letter to ModusLink's chairman is below: Francis J. JulesChairman of the Board of Directors ModusLink Global Solutions 1601 Trapelo Road Suite 170 Waltham, MA 02451 June 12, 2012 Dear Mr. Jules:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV