BKF Capital Group, Inc. (BKFG) today released an open letter to shareholders of Qualstar Corporation (NASDAQ—QBAK) in advance of a Special Meeting of Shareholders on June 20, 2012 to remove and replace the Qualstar Board. In the letter, BKF accuses Qualstar of stalling on the production of accounting records, which BKF believes are relevant to shareholder assessment of the performance of the Board in advance of the Special Meeting, and questions whether the Qualstar Board is trying to hide information from shareholders. BKF also challenges the Board’s characterization of the new CEO that it selected, who has never served in a chief executive capacity, as a “turnaround specialist.”
The full text of the letter follows.
June 13, 2012
Dear Fellow Qualstar Shareholders:The Special Meeting of Shareholders to remove and replace the Board of Qualstar Corporation will be held on June 20, 2012. If you have not already done so, please promptly return your GOLD proxy card to vote FOR the proposals of BKF Capital Group, Inc. to remove and replace the Board , so that the BKF slate of nominees may begin to return value to shareholders. It would seem that the current Board members have already given shareholders sufficient reasons to remove them from office — the destruction of the Company’s share value, the decline in operating performance, the outsized compensation of the new CEO, the distortions and half-truths regarding the BKF slate. But this Board keeps adding more. Stalling on BKF’s Demand to Inspect Accounting Books and Records BKF exercised its right under California law to demand inspection of Qualstar's accounting books and records, including the following items:
- compensation and expense reimbursement to directors and officers;
- payments for aircraft owned by directors and officers;
- legal services performed by the law firm of one of the directors;
- investment advice paid for by the Company; and
- executive recruitment and compensation consultants.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV