Stocks Tumble on Eurozone Uncertainty
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks lost ground Wednesday as worries about the stability of the eurozone bubbled up once again.
The major U.S. equity indices swooned late in the day following reports that Greek banks are seeing elevated levels of withdrawals ahead of the country's crucial general elections this weekend. The vote is being seen as a referendum on the austerity measures Greece will need to adhere to in order to remain part of the eurozone.
Adding to the concerns was news that Egan Jones cut its rating on Spain to CCC-plus from B. Reuters said the downgrade was the ratings agency's fourth cut for Spain since April.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 77 points, or 0.62%, to close at 12,496. The blue-chip index, which ranged roughly 150 points during the day, has now fallen in two of the past three sessions.The S&P 500 lost 9 points, or 0.70%, to close at 1315. The Nasdaq gave back more than 24 points, or 0.86%, to settle at 2819.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV