Last up is Calpine (CPN), another firm that's tangled in the web of unrequited M&A within BP Capital's portfolio. Back in 2008, NRG Energy made an unsolicited bid to buy CPN for $22.70 per share, an offer that's probably looking a whole lot more attractive now that Calpine sells for 2012 prices in the low $16 range. Calpine is another power generation firm, albeit one that jives more directly with the Pickens Plan than most - it operates modern natural gas-powered generation turbines with 28 GW of capacity between them.
Calpine's exposure to natural gas-fired plants means that the firm benefits more than most when natgas is sitting at low levels. Unfortunately for Calpine, low nat gas prices tend to go hand-in-hand with low wholesale power prices, which means that the firm's margins haven't expanded as many investors had hoped. If the company can get a handle on some of its costs - namely its debt load - it'll look like a better bet for 2012.BP Capital bought 290,000 shares of CPN last quarter, bringing on a $5 million stake in the company. To see the rest of T. Boone Pickens' plays check out the T. Boone Pickens - BP Capital Portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV