Independent power producer NRG Energy (NRG) owns 25.5 GW of generation capacity spread across three countries, making it one of the larger names in the power business. With Exelon, it's a double-down on the power business for Boone Pickens and BP Capital. The hedge fund added 305,000 shares of NRG to its portfolio in the most recent quarter, building up a $4.8 million position in the stock.
Ironically, NRG fended off a hostile takeover attempt by Exelon back in 2008. So even though the two companies never merged, BP Capital bought both at the same time anyway.>>5 Stocks Setting Up to Break Out NRG isn't just a big power producer outright -- it's also a major name in alternative energy generation. The company owns three major solar generation facilities, four wind farms, and a number of smaller solar generation assets, positioning that makes NRG one of the league leaders in green power. While traditional generation still makes up the majority of NRG's generation, the firm is spending considerable capital on green power, and it's getting tax advantages and rate contracts that effectively pay for those investments instantly. NRG is also a major power retailer, serving more than 2 million customers directly with their power needs. While that retail exposure takes some of the cyclical pressures off of NRG's income statement, the firm still doesn't benefit from the consistency of a more regulated name. And the firm's lack of a dividend payout is proof of that.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV