The Gabelli Equity Trust Inc. (NYSE: GAB) (the “Fund”) has previously announced the Board of Directors’ approval of a transferable rights offering (the “Offer” or “Offering”) to the Fund’s existing 6.20% Series F Cumulative Preferred Stock (the “Series F Preferred”) shareholders. The Offering to acquire Series G Cumulative Preferred Stock (the “Series G Preferred”) will be made only to Series F Preferred shareholders by means of a prospectus, and this letter does not constitute an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any of the Fund’s securities.
The Series G Preferred will pay distributions quarterly and for the first twelve months beginning from the date of issuance will have an annual dividend rate of 6.00% and thereafter will have an annual dividend rate of 5.00% for all future dividend periods.
SUMMARY OF THE TERMS OF THE OFFER
- Each shareholder will receive one transferrable right (the “Right”) for each share of Series F Preferred held on the record date (June 22, 2012).
- One Right plus $25.00 (the “Subscription Price”) will be required to purchase one share of Series G Preferred pursuant to the offering (the “Primary Subscription”). The purchase price will be payable in cash, by surrender of Series F Preferred at liquidation preference or any combination of cash and such shares.
- Record date shareholders who fully exercise their Primary Subscription Rights will be eligible for an over-subscription privilege entitling these shareholders to subscribe, subject to certain limitations and a pro-rata allotment, for any additional shares of Series G Preferred. Rights acquired in the secondary market may not participate in the oversubscription privilege.
- The Fund’s Series F Preferred shares are expected to trade “Ex-Rights” on the New York Stock Exchange on June 20, 2012 and the Rights are expected to begin trading for normal settlement through the NASDAQ Capital Market on or about June 28, 2012.
- The offering expires at 5:00 PM Eastern Time on July 24, 2012, unless extended.
An application for listing with the New York Stock Exchange will be filed for the Series G Preferred.