NEW YORK -- Nokia (NOK), the Finnish handset maker, plans to cut 10,000 jobs globally and close plants by the end of 2013 in an effort to save costs.
Nokia said Thursday it plans to close its core manufacturing plant in Finland, and shut other research and development projects.
The company also said its second-quarter loss from its smartphones business would be larger than expected.
Nokia said it would record additional restructuring charges by the end of next year of about €1 billion.Shares of Nokia dropped 8.6% in premarket trading Thursday to $2.55.
Smithfield Foods (SFD) , the meat processor, reported fourth-quarter earnings Thursday of $79.5 million, or 49 cents a share, down from year-earlier earnings of $98.4 million, or 59 cents. Analysts, on average, expected the company to post quarterly earnings of 53 cents a share. Sales rose 3% to $3.21 billion; analysts were forecasting sales of $3.26 billion. Shares of Smithfield Foods fell 4.29% in premarket trading Thursday to $18.73. 3 Dividend Growth Stocks I Have Been Buying at Any Price
Kroger (KR) , the supermarket operator, is expected by analysts Thursday to post fiscal-first-quarter earnings of 72 cents a share on revenue of $29.15 billion. 2 Stocks I Am Buying While Others Are Afraid
United Technologies' (UTX) said its board approved an increase of 11.5% to the company's quarterly dividend, increasing it to 53.5 cents a share. Sirius XM's Greatest Fear: Apple in the Driver's Seat
Costco (COST) announced Thursday that it was purchasing Controladora Comercial Mexicana's 50% stake in Costco de Mexico for about $760.4 million. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV