A Billion Reasons To Donate Your Credit Card Reward Points
You are planning to make a balance transfer for a better credit card deal. But you have unused rewards points on that credit card. You don't have enough rewards points to redeem them for something you want, but you'd hate to see them go to waste. Here's a charitable idea: Donate your unused credit card points to a good cause.
A number of credit cards, including those issued by American Express, Citibank, Chase, Capital One and Discover, make it easy for you to donate your reward points.
All you have to do is log onto your account on the credit card's website and click on the redeem rewards points tab. You can donate your unused reward points just as you would redeem them for gifts or cash. You also can call the customer service number on the back of your credit card to donate by phone.
An advantage of donating rewards is that some credit cards absorb the transaction costs. "That ensures 100 percent of the donation gets to the charity," says Sukhi Sahni, senior communications manager for Capital One.Some simple caveats apply However, there are some caveats:
- Some credit card companies require you have a minimum of rewards points to donate. For example, American Express requires at least 1,000 points. "For every 1,000 points, $10 will be donated to your charity of choice," says American Express spokeswoman Desiree C. Fish. "There is no limit to the number of reward points you can redeem as donations, provided you have the available point balance in your rewards account," she notes.
- Not every charity accepts credit card rewards points. Your charity of choice may not be on the list that does accept rewards. However, Fish says, it shouldn't be hard to find an acceptable charity. American Express gives cardholders the flexibility to donate their rewards points to more than 1 million U.S.-based charities. Capital One allows cardholders to donate rewards to more than 1.2 million United States charities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV