Steel Dynamics Inc (STLD): Today's Featured Metals & Mining Loser
Steel Dynamics (STLD) pushed the Metals & Mining industry lower today making it today's featured Metals & Mining loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 1.9%. By the end of trading, Steel Dynamics fell 8 cents (-0.8%) to $10.41 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 4.9 million shares of Steel Dynamics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3.1 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $10.30-$10.67 after having opened the day at $10.53 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $10.50. Other company's within the Metals & Mining industry that declined today were: Timberline Resources Corporation (TLR), down 6.1%, China Precision Steel (CPSL), down 5.4%, Pacific Booker Minerals (PBM), down 5.1%, and Atlatsa Resources (ATL), down 5%. Steel Dynamics, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the manufacture and sale of steel products in the United States and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Steel Operations, Metals Recycling and Ferrous Resources Operations, and Steel Fabrication Operations. Steel Dynamics has a market cap of $2.41 billion and is part of the basic materials sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.9, below the average metals & mining industry P/E ratio of 11.5 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 19.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are eight analysts that rate Steel Dynamics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and seven rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Steel Dynamics as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins.
- You can view the full Steel Dynamics Ratings Report.
- Use our metals & mining section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV