Orchard Supply Hardware Stores Corporation (Nasdaq:OSH), a neighborhood hardware and garden store focused on paint, repair and the backyard, today announced financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 ended April 28, 2012.
First Quarter Fiscal 2012 Financial Results
- First quarter net sales were $155.0 million compared to $163.8 million in the prior year period. Comparable store sales (1) decreased 3.1%, reflecting softness in outdoor and seasonal merchandise during the period.
- Net loss in the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was $4.5 million compared to net loss of $1.0 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2011.
- First quarter Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA (see reconciliation of Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA to net loss, below) was $7.5 million compared to $11.2 million in fiscal 2011 and primarily reflects lower year-over-year gross margin, as well as costs associated with being a public company.
Mark Baker, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, “Although first quarter sales were softer than we expected, we continue to anticipate that comparable stores sales will be positive for the full year. We are increasing our focus on marketing, promotions and customer communication initiatives designed to drive traffic and sales. Additionally, our team is continuing to execute on our turnaround initiatives, including new store openings, remodels and refurbishments to enhance the store portfolio and leverage Orchard’s strong local market presence and 80-year history.”
Balance Sheet and Cash FlowAs of April 28, 2012, inventories totaled $173.4 million compared to $178.6 million at April 30, 2011. Cash and cash equivalents at the end of the first quarter were $22.4 million. The Company generated $2.9 million of cash from operations during the first quarter of fiscal 2012. Additionally, the Company completed the sale of land and a sale-leaseback transaction during the first quarter of fiscal 2012, generating $6.6 million of net proceeds, $2.5 million of which were used to repay debt. As of quarter-end, total debt and capital lease obligations was $266.0 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV