MILLBURN, N.J. (Stockpickr) -- Last September, when we were in the midst of an earlier round of European sovereign and bank debt panic, I introduced a portfolio of 10 Low-Volatility Stocks for a Rising Volatility Environment, which included such stocks as Procter & Gamble (PG) and Wal-Mart (WMT).
The two criteria for inclusion in the portfolio were one-year historical volatility less than that of the S&P 500 and current dividend yields in excess of that of the S&P 500.
Once again, we are in the middle of a European centric credit crisis. The global stock markets have fallen, and volatilities have surged for the S&P 500 to levels not experienced since the fourth quarter of last year.With that in mind, I have selected 10 more stocks that meet the same criteria. (As of the day I ran the search, the one-year realized volatility for the S&P 500 was 23.4%, and the index' dividend yield was 2.1%.) >>ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out Stockpickr's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now! Vector Group Vector Group (VGR) operates two very disparate businesses. First is the tobacco business, through both the Liggett Group and Vector Tobacco. Vector's cigarette businesses are the fifth leading producer of cigarettes in the U.S. Furthermore, the company was the first to settle with the US Government on tobacco litigation. The other business is New Valley, a real estate business that also owns a 50% interest in Douglas Elliman Realty, the largest real estate brokerage company in New York City.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV