Companies Need to Listen to Whistle-Blowers
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The resistance to accept uncomfortable truths is an aspect of human nature we all deal with, but how many scandals could have been prevented if CEOs or boards had simply stopped to listen to complaints from concerned employees and investigate them further?
Investors are justifiably worried about CEOs and boards being in denial about the probability or severity of risks.
After all, how many times have investigations into corporate problems revealed that "warning signs and red flags went ignored"?
What if Enron had listened to Sherron Watkins?What if WorldCom had listened to Cynthia Cooper? Did anyone come to JPMorgan's (JPM) leadership about warning signs before the company lost so much money trading? Did MF Global Holdings have anyone warn it before its meltdown? In a world of unbridled sine qua non leadership optimism, investors are wondering whether company leaders are simply refusing to listen when insiders raise concerns or problems. Here are the five potential CEO/board responses to risk alerts:
- "The data are wrong." This is total denial, couched in an unwillingness to accept that the data may reflect an uncomfortable reality.
- "The data are right, but it's not a problem." This accepts that data reflect reality but that the data are variants on the desired and predicted reality.
- "The data are right, it's a problem, but it's not my problem." This is when the problem isn't your fault and you shouldn't have a role in its resolution.
- "The data are suspect due to the provider." This suggests that the bearer of unwanted news is not a team player or is disgruntled or has an ulterior motive.
- "The data are right, it's a problem, and it's my problem." This is an acceptance of a leader's role to take responsibility and come up with a solution, even if the leader didn't contribute to the problem. This is the response of a true leader and an honorable steward.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV