Apple announced a small feature as part of iOS 6, known as Passbook, which might be the company's entrance into the digital wallet space.
Passbook is a location-aware app that lets users store discount cards, gift cards, movie tickets and boarding passes. Users can store their Starbucks (SBUX) gift cards, which some believe may transition Apple into the mobile payment space.
"Passbook is going to be a huge thing," noted Pierre-Loïc Raynaud."This is Apple's first move towards the wallet," added Calvin Carter, President of Bottle Rocket Apps. "This is massive." Carter said Passbook will prompt developers to start integrating the location-aware app into apps for large consumer brands. Apple shares closed lower on Monday, off 1.58% to $571.17, but are still up 40.96% year-to-date. The iPhone maker's shares crept up 0.65% to $574.88 on Tuesday. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in San Francisco >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV