Dow Snags Triple-Digit Gain
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks surged Tuesday as investors focused on the possibility of more monetary stimulus from the Federal Reserve, looking past ongoing questions about the stability of the eurozone.
Hopes that the central bank could come across with another round of quantitative easing were stoked by comments from Charles Evans, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, who was quoted as saying he's in favor of "pretty much any accommodative policy."
The major U.S. equity indices all managed to finish just below their session highs despite anxiety about Greece's general elections, which will take place this coming weekend. In addition, Spanish 10-year bond yields reportedly reached 6.85%, the highest level on record, earlier in the day as global investors remain unimpressed with the $125 billion bailout plan for the country's banking system.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 163 points, or 1.31%, at 12,574. The blue-chip index wiped out Monday's losses, which snapped a four-day winning streak.The S&P 500 gained more than 15 points, or 1.17%, to finish at 1324, and the Nasdaq leapt 33 points, or 1.19%, to settle at 2843.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV