JACKSONVILLE, Fla., June 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Most people know that exposure to the sun, especially at the height of summer, can damage their skin. But, extended exposure to the same harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays that affect skin can also damage your eyes.
On the new edition of Healthy Vision ™ with Dr. Val Jones, dermatologist and author Jeanine Downie, M.D., and Stephen Cohen, OD, past president of the Arizona Optometric Association , join Dr. Val to talk about the importance of protecting your body from the sun's dangerous UV rays.
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States, with more than 3.5 million new cases diagnosed every year.(1) "One in five Americans will develop skin cancer during their lifetime,"(2) says Dr. Downie. "That is why it is critical that regardless of age or ethnicity, you wear sun block every single day, rain or shine, January through December.""Unlike skin, where you may see sunburn after a day at the beach, damage to the eyes may not manifest for years, at which point the damage is already done and it is too late to reverse the effects of the sun," adds Dr. Cohen. "Since the sun can cause irreversible harm to all structures of the eye and surrounding tissue that is left unprotected or under-protected, it is important to get maximum protection beginning in childhood." In addition to UV-related health risks, exposure to the sun can also change the overall appearance of your skin and eyes. "You may notice more fine lines and wrinkles, larger pores, and your skin may have a rougher texture," explains Dr. Downie. "Instead of having that nice white, bright appearance to the eyes, your eyes may get a little bit cloudier looking, have a duller appearance, and you may see more redness and blood vessels than normal," adds Dr. Cohen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV