Michael Kors Holdings Limited (NYSE:KORS) (the “Company”) today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended March 31, 2012. The Company is a global luxury lifestyle brand with a multi-channel strategy, unique design and strong infrastructure that provides a platform for continued global growth.
John Idol, the Company’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, “We are pleased with our results for the quarter and the year, as we experienced strong growth in both total revenue and net income. This year we continued executing our key growth strategies, resulting in a 58.3% and 62.1% increase in total revenues for the quarter and year, respectively.”
For the fourth quarter ended March 31, 2012:
- Total revenue for the fourth quarter increased 58.3% to $380.0 million from $240.0 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Retail net sales increased 80.3% to $172.2 million driven by 71 new store openings since the end of last year and a 36.1% increase in comparable store sales. Wholesale net sales increased 45.5% to $190.7 million and royalty revenue increased 26.9% to $17.1 million.
- Gross profit for the fourth quarter increased 63.4% to $219.1 million, and as a percentage of total revenue increased to 57.7% compared to 55.9% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Income from operations for the fourth quarter increased 84.9% to $78.8 million, and as a percentage of total revenue was 20.7%. Excluding a $2.0 million reimbursement of professional fees associated with the Company’s initial public offering (“IPO”) in December 2011, income from operations for the fourth quarter was $76.8 million, or 20.2% as a percentage of total revenue. This compares to income from operations for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 of $42.6 million, or 17.8% as a percentage of total revenue.
- Net income for the fourth quarter was $43.6 million, or $0.22 per diluted share based on 196.9 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding. Excluding the aforementioned credit, net income was $41.6 million, or $0.21 per diluted share. Net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 was $17.4 million, or $0.10 per diluted share based on 179.2 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding.
Mr. Idol continued, “Our results for the quarter were driven by strong performance across each of our retail, wholesale and licensing segments. Our North American comparable store sales increase was 37.2%, reflecting the strong demand for the Michael Kors luxury brand, our exciting assortment of fashion merchandise and our exceptional jet-set in-store experience. We also delivered significant growth in our wholesale segment, reflecting the strength of our brand and the favorable results from our transition to shop-in-shops in department stores. In Europe, total revenue increased 122.6% for the quarter as a result of a 13.6% comparable store sales increase, in addition to strong performance in our wholesale operations. In Japan, we are cautiously encouraged by our results for this business, which is in the start-up phase. Total licensing revenue grew 26.9% in the quarter due to strong sales of our licensed products led by the Michael Kors watch and eyewear lines.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.