4. LNB Bancorp
Shares of LNB Bancorp (LNBB) of Lorain, Ohio, closed at $6.12 Friday, returning 31% year-to-date, following a 5% decline last year.
The shares trade for 73% of tangible book value, and for eight times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of 74 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 61 cents.LNB Bancorp owes $25.2 million in TARP money. The U.S. Treasury on Monday initiated a second round of auctions of TARP preferred shares, for a group of seven banks, including LNB Bancorp. Bidding for the government-held preferred shares will end at 6:30PM, Eastern Standard Time, on Wednesday. The company had $1.2 billion in total assets as of March 31 and reported first-quarter net income available to common shareholders of $1.2 million, or 15 cents a share, compared to $811 thousand, or 10 cents a share, in the fourth quarter, and $1.1 million, or 15 cents a share, in the first quarter of 2011. LNB Bancorp's first-quarter ROA was 0.51%, and the ROA has ranged from 0.24% to 0.57% over the past five quarters, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight. KBW analyst John Barber on May 20 initiated his firm's coverage of LNB Bancorp with a "Market Perform" rating and a $7.00 price target, saying that TARP remains an overhang, and the increase in the dividend rate on preferred shares held by the government "from 5% to 9% in December 2013 represents a significant earnings event." Barber said that he expects "LNB to continue building capital as our current estimates assume the company organically increases its tangible common equity (TCE) ratio over 6% by mid-2013 from 5.7% in 1Q12," adding that he believes "the company will be patient in its approach towards redeeming TARP; however, all strategic options remain on the table." Interested in more on LNB Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV