Tharani also backed a "Sell" rating for U.S. Steel Corp., saying that its fortunes are the most closely tied to fluctuations in steel prices. U.S. Steel shares tumbled $1.09, or 5.7 percent, to $18.04.
But Tharani raised his rating for Commercial Metals Co. to "Neutral" from "Sell" and increased his price target for the company by $1.50 to $14, saying that its shares reflect the company's risks after dropping 14 percent over the last 12 months. Still, Tharani cut earnings estimates for the company for this year.
Commercial Metals shares fell 10 cents to $11.85 in afternoon trading.
Tharani said his top picks in the sector include metal service center companies such as Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. and Allegheny Technologies Inc., a more specialized metals processor that serves industries including energy, aerospace and autos. He rates both "Buy."In afternoon trading, shares of Reliance Steel fell $1.19, or 2.5 percent, to $47.48, while Allegheny dropped $1.24, or 4.1 percent, to $29.06.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV