Rating Change #2
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (CNQ) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CNQ's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 11.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for CANADIAN NATURAL RESOURCES is rather high; currently it is at 53.30%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.10% is above that of the industry average.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.35, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.29 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CANADIAN NATURAL RESOURCES's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- CNQ's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 33.82%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited engages in the acquisition, exploration, development, production, marketing, and sale of crude oil, natural gas liquids (NGLs), and natural gas. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.9, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Canadian Natural has a market cap of $30.15 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are down 26.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.You can view the full Canadian Natural Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV