Rating Change #7
Collective Brands Inc (PSS) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Specialty Retail industry average. The net income increased by 25.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $26.40 million to $33.20 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 28.57% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 53.37% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, PSS should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 187.65% to $36.20 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, COLLECTIVE BRANDS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 20.11%.
- COLLECTIVE BRANDS INC has improved earnings per share by 28.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, COLLECTIVE BRANDS INC swung to a loss, reporting -$2.69 versus $1.74 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.39 versus -$2.69).
Collective Brands, Inc. engages in the provision of footwear and related accessories worldwide. Collective has a market cap of $1.29 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. Shares are up 47.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.You can view the full Collective Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.