7 Predictions for Ethical Leadership
5. Budgets and focus for organizational ethics spending will remain a low priority until...
Companies are reticent to allocate budget support beyond attorneys, accountants, and GRC (governance, risk management, and compliance) technology. The highest and most effective line of defense for ethical misconduct is in direct, consistent and ongoing conversations, education, and management of key officials and staff.
Unfortunately, those monies seem elusive and unjustifiable until after a crisis. And when that happens the cost for recovery will always exceed the costs of preventive strategies.
6. Leaders will continue to find themselves tricked by distractions disguised as opportunities.Decision-making, focus, prioritizing, energy and effort are all based on evaluating situations with clarity of values. Often the lure of instant gratification and short term benefit can veil something that is sure to cause irreparable, long term harm. It is the ultimate and defining skill of those entrusted with leadership responsibilities to be able to discern between true opportunities and false ones. The ability to resist temptations and have the discipline of deliberate principles often determines a leader's legacy and an enterprise's sustainability for years to come. 7. Temptations will come and courage will be challenged, but more will win than lose. There will be no shortage of temptation in the coming year. Economic, political, religious, business, and societal challenges will continue and so too will the need for critical thinking, strategic preparedness, and a re-commitment to the principles that build personal and professional reputations. In spite of the daunting assaults and those who fall prey to unscrupulous acts, as more scrutiny, consequences, and courage will ensure the good behavior will re-energize others. Temptation is a part of all of our lives and vigilance is so important. There are times when authority, title, and popularity can be the biggest obstacles to viewing the potential consequences of everyday decisions. This commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet guest contributor program. The views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of TheStreet or its management.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV