The Greek elections "stirs in an added level of uncertainty until clarity from this weekend," Joe Bell, senior equity analyst at Schaeffer's Investment Research, agreed.
Sam Stovall, chief equity strategist at S&P Capital IQ warned that the lenient bailout requirements for Spain could embolden the winning party in Greece into pushing back even harder on austerity requirements integral to its international bailout deal.
The Hong Kong Hang Seng Index finished higher by 2.4% and the Nikkei in Japan added nearly 2% after stronger-than-expected China trade data for May and a lower than expected rise in inflation, which supported the view that the country has more wiggle room to loosen monetary policy.
No major U.S. economic reports were scheduled for Monday.July crude oil futures slipped $1.40 to settle at $82.70 a barrel. August gold futures rose $5.40 to settle at $1,595.90 an ounce. The benchmark 10-year Treasury was up 14/32, lowering the yield to 1.588%. The dollar was trading up 0.17%, according to the dollar index. In corporate news, Diamond Foods (DMND) said that it won't meet its June 11 quarterly filing data for the Nasdaq, and that as a result, the package foods company expects to receive a delisting determination letter from the Nasdaq and that would plan for an appeal thereafter. Shares tumbled 8%. Centene (CNC) slashed its full-year earnings outlook amid mounting costs in the Medicaid insurer's Kentucky and Texas health plans. Shares plunged more than 22%. One of the biggest movers on Monday was Micronetics (NOIZ), whose stock soared 94% after the company agreed to be acquired by Mercury Computer Systems (MRCY) for $75.4 million, including debt assumption. The deal values Micronetics's shares at $14.80 each in cash.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV