NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures were trimming gains but remained in positive territory Monday as a weekend loan agreement for Spain's shaky banking sector provided relief on the European debt crisis.
Futures for the
Dow Jones Industrial Average were ahead by 52 points, or 80.8 points above fair value, at 12,555. Futures for the
S&P 500 were up 4.9 points, or 8.2 points above fair value, at 1327, and futures for the
Nasdaq 100 were rising 10.3 points, or 13.5 points above fair value, at 2567.
U.S. stocks got a boost Friday after President Barack Obama spoke out against Greece leaving the eurozone. The positive trading action came ahead of a weekend that would feature a raft of economic data from China and a potential banking sector aid request from Spain.
Spain reached a deal with eurozone finance ministers over the weekend for up to €100 billion ($125 billion) in financial assistance to help boost its banking system. A formal request from Spain is expected to occur after June 21, when two independent audits of the banking system are due.The agreement fueled a relief rally across global markets. The Hong Kong Hang Seng Index finished higher by 2.4% and the Nikkei in Japan added nearly 2%. The FTSE in London was up 0.9% and the DAX in Germany was rising 1.9%. "The fear remains, however, that any respite for the euro area debt crisis may prove only temporary," noted Michala Marcussen, head of global economics at Societe Generale. "In focus this week is the June 17 Greek election; next comes a flurry of meeting ahead of the 28 to 29 June EU
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV