10 Most Convenient Cities in America
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Can you get a haircut, grab groceries and pick up a pizza without starting an engine? Congratulations, you live in a convenient city.
Neighborhood ranking site Walk Score says a convenient town should have a main street or public space at its center, enough people to keep public transit running frequently and a mix of housing and businesses, lots of parks and other spaces. It should also kick in some amenities designed around pedestrians, schools, workplaces and "complete streets" (read: no cul-de-sacs) designed for pedestrians, cyclists and transit.
A city that's walkable and easily accessible by public transportation with jobs, schools, hospitals, groceries, entertainment and other amenities within striking distance tends to draw more interest from tenants and potential homebuyers. It's a big reason real estate firms such as Zillow (Z) and Trulia factor Walk Score's walking, biking and transit ratings into their listings.
We took a look at Walk Score's latest batch of ratings and used the average scores of the biggest cities featured on the site to find the most convenient cities in America. If you're living and working here, a car may be more of a luxury than a necessity:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV