NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- how one technical call lost a lot of people a lot of money;
- why Ben Bernanke is out of ammo; and
- a calm, cold analysis of what could happen to Caterpillar shares.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
The 200-Day RallyPosted at 6:31 p.m. EDT on Friday, June 8 Pathetic that what made you the most money this week is exactly what might have cost you most of your year for the last three weeks. Some people aren't going to like this, but what I think was the worst call in a long time was anyone who said, point blank, that the 200-day moving average is all that matters and when it is taken out then you are going to have a big decline. If you remember last week every trader and his brother talked about this concept. We had a guest on CNBC who said that this was it, that you had to sell because of it and he is a highly respected trader. He gave his prognosis after speaking to tons of other traders and the groupthink is totally odious. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll I think when we look back at this week we have to remember exactly how irrelevant the charts are at some very big moments. In fact, I am calling this the 200-day rally because it was probably precipitated by all of these know-nothing shorts who bet against the market and then were forced to cover because they heard about the secret deal. It was a week that I wish we had more exposure on (notice I use the traditional term, "exposure," not "risk"), but that's exactly what would have wrecked us for the last five weeks. There was lots of scrambling these last few days and, once again, it defied a lot of patterns. Nothing in the book said we should have had another good day today. After a week like this, frankly, we should just throw the book away or at least the chart book, because the main thing you needed to know to trade positively this week was that many people shorted off the 200-day claptrap and then Spain got so bad that a deal became necessary.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV