The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm has often used WWDC as the launch pad for new hardware, unveiling the iPhone 4 in 2010, the iPhone 3GS in 2009 and the iPhone 3G in 2008.
Last year, however, despite rumors swirling about a new iPhone, Steve Jobs used WWDC to showcase the company's iCloud. Apple fanboys had to wait another four months for the launch of the iPhone 4S.Investors, though, clearly got over the shock of a hardware-free WWDC. Apple's shares rose almost 9% between the June developer event and the iPhone 4S debut in October, compared to a broader slump in the tech sector that saw the Nasdaq tumble 12%. ISI Group analyst Brian Marshall will also be looking out for updates on key product metrics when Apple CEO Tim Cook takes the stage to present his keynote on Monday. "We expect metrics provided this year will be supportive of our estimates of 140 million iPhones, 64 million iPads and 19 million Macs in calendar year 2012," he explained, in a note. Apple sold 35.1 million iPhones, 11.8 million iPads, and 4 million Macs during its recent fiscal second quarter. What do you think Apple will announce at WWDC? Take TheStreet's WWDC poll and tell us. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV