TransCanada Corp (TRP): Today's Featured Utilities Loser
TransCanada (TRP) pushed the Utilities sector lower today making it today's featured Utilities loser. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.7%. By the end of trading, TransCanada fell 85 cents (-2%) to $41.20 on light volume. Throughout the day, 359,410 shares of TransCanada exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 535,200 shares. The stock ranged in price between $41.07-$41.68 after having opened the day at $41.60 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $42.05. Other company's within the Utilities sector that declined today were: GenOn Energy (GEN), down 4.2%, China Hydroelectric Corporation (CHC), down 4.1%, Exelon (EXC), down 3.9%, and Niska Gas Storage Partners (NKA), down 1.8%. Transcanada Corporation operates as an energy infrastructure company in North America. The company operates in three segments: Natural Gas Pipelines, Oil Pipelines, and Energy. TransCanada has a market cap of $29.31 billion and is part of the utilities industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 19.9, above the average utilities industry P/E ratio of 19.8 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 6.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are three analysts that rate TransCanada a buy, one analyst rates it a sell, and four rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates TransCanada as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full TransCanada Ratings Report.
- Use our utilities section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV